Edible Fetus

Monday, November 07, 2005

Sober Thoughts


My uncle died Wednesday and we buried him today. He was just over 24 years sober when he died. In the course of those 24 years, he helped MANY people (including myself,) get sober, stay sober and change their lives. Generally for the better.

He was a power of example to me because he showed me that people can be good. Humanity wasn't dead, it had just been trapped beneath a landslide of apathy. Once you began to care about another person unconditionally, when your only concern is to help without glory or reward, then you begin to show signs of life and, more importantly, of living. He did this daily and I can only hope to emulate 1/10 of one percent of what he did.

I loved him a lot and am eternally indebted to him for offering me his experience, strength and hope in my own battle to recover from the clutches of alcoholism and drug addiction. I will miss him greatly and will do my best to carry on his message of hope and healing to another alcoholic in need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home